A downloadable editor for Windows, macOS, and Linux
The free demo is at the bottom of the page! It can be used indefinitely and has all of 4coder's built-in features. Buy the full version to get access to the customization API!
4coder is a minimalist, cross platform, programmable, code editing environment, catering to the needs of low level programmers. It allows you to use one work flow across Windows, Linux, and Mac (with the exception of your debugger... for now.). The 4coder environment can be programmed with it's customization API in C++ or any other language that compiles to native binary.
4coder has built in features for:
- Running shell scripts, makefiles, and arbitrary console/terminal commands.
- Reporting compilation errors and jumping to errors.
- Project files with bindings for function keys to scripts for quick access to the most common utilities in your project. And since it is configured in a plane text file it works painlessly with any source control system you might be using.
- Searching all buffers for a particular string and making a jump list for rapidly jumping through the matches in the code base
- Reading the output from a program or customization that formats output as 4coder jump locations to create whatever kind of jump lists you want, such as a log readers, or profiler outputs, or failed asserts.
- Multi-stage copy/paste for moving around more than one item on your clipboard with ease and without flipping back and forth between sources and destinations. Works even for copies from outside 4coder.
- Optional auto code layout that puts soft wraps and soft indents at ideal places to make your code still look like code when it does line wraps, and to save you from ever having to press a single key to indent your code.
If you want to try out 4coder without getting into the customization features and making your own keybindings, you can get started by checking out the official KEYBINDINGS.
In the full version the customization layer can be used for a lot more than just making your own keybindings. Users have written all kinds of customizations. From Vim emulations, to automatic MSDN documentation retrievers, you have the full range of C++ code available to you when you start using the 4coder customization layer. The layer API is still under development at this alpha stage, but even so there is some DOCUMENTATION available already.
If you would like to learn more about 4coder you can visit the websites below:
You can help the project stay in development by purchasing the full version, giving a gratuity here, or by giving once a month on the 4coder PATREON. Backers also get access to new builds several days before they are posted here.
The handmade network hosts a FORUM for 4coder where you can post comments, ask questions, share thoughts, and read about what other people are experiencing with 4coder. Of course you can always post here too!
Finally there is a WEBSITE with information about the state of the project, the road map for the future, and tutorials for various fancy features.
In order to download this editor you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $12 USD. You will get access to the following files:
Leave a comment
Log in with your itch.io account to leave a comment.